Saturday, September 29, 2012

M2: Tool Exploration: Wiki

At first, this assignment really stumped me. I have been thinking about this all week and I had no idea what I could possibly come up with to add to a wiki, let alone create a new one. I don't feel like I know enough about anything to write about in an encyclopedia. I am also worried about sounding like an idiot on a website where millions of people can read what I wrote. So, it is now Saturday, this assignment is due tomorrow, and only one other person in the class has made a post about it.

My research project is going to be about social networking, and the main things I want to focus on are why social networking sites are so popular and the negative aspects of them. There are already entries on Wikipedia about social networking. The two main ones are titled 'Social networking service' and the other is just called 'Social network'. Each of these pages go into so much detail about many aspects of social networking, so what could I possibly write?

On the ‘Social networking service’ entry, there is a section called ‘New trends in social networking’ and this seemed relevant to my topic, since I am curious to know why these sites are so popular. There was only one short entry that was already there (which was entered a year ago), so I figured I could add some more information to this and that would be a good start. So I added my information and my source and it was actually really easy. I think that if I was more comfortable putting information on a site that millions of people see, I would like to add much more information.

Wikipedia page can be found: here

No comments:

Post a Comment